Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Red Fall

Fall is a beautiful, short season around here. Driving home late yesterday afternoon I was stopped by a Japanese Maple.




Red Fall foliage. A quintessential New England yellow house built in 1835. 
Each makes the other look fabulous, yellow with red that is.



A few leaves still tinged with tangerine.


This tree should have a paint color named after it. Sherwin Williams are you listening?


Crimson, scarlet, cardinal. Ruby, garnet. Apple, berry, cherry. Jam. Lipstick. Love, passion, intensity. Danger. Stop.

However descriptive we get with red, there's one thing it will never, ever be: shy.

There's no lack of opinions floating about the Internet on what is in or out in decorating. Not that long ago I read that red rooms were out. Dated.

About the same time I read that, Architect William T. Georgis did this red room for the 2014 Kips Bay Show House. Imagined as a study for the late Cardinal Spellman, it has some surprising details like the resin and rough-hewn wood console. Red waterfall legs. Wow!

NYT

I love red shoes but only wear them in Summer. Although these sparkly pumps would be fun at the tree trimming party.

Nordstrom


Red has a schizo, multiple personalities personality. It's been a staple in grand interiors since forever.

AD
It can go ranchy and rustic.

The Cavander Boys
And then be all charming and whimsical.

Purebred Wallpaper from Thibaut


Red rooms remind me of winter, in a good way. They always seem cozy and warm.

I don't have a red room but I've done a couple for clients. Do you have one? How much do you love it?

Thanks for reading,
Linda Pakravan

This post was not not sponsored.

13 comments:

  1. I want to paint my front door the color of that red maple;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! An auspicious color to be sure.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous13.11.14

    I don't have a completely red room but did paint a little accent wall red in my kitchen. I have a red Asian console table in my foyer. Kind of shakes up the idea of a 1915 Virginia farmhouse, doesn't it? I particularly like it with blue and white. And, Linda, what glorious photos of that Japanese maple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd like to see that red Asian console table. Maybe you should write a post about it?

      Delete
    2. Barbara! I deleted your comment on my comment by misake!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous13.11.14

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally deleted this comment! I'm so sorry!

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely beautiful. Read is usually my least favorite color to decorate with, but I adore the rooms you showed!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Fall, that maple tree and yes, I have a red room...the dining room. When you light the candles, it makes everyone look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and everyone should look beautiful while they are dining on your fabulous food!

      Delete
  6. Red is such a dramatic color! I'd love to have a red client as I have so many red fabrics, paint colors and ideas to use. And what stunning photos of the yellow house and tree!!! If we don't "chat" have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Linda. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dramatic. I think red will be back in the next few years and then we'll both have red clients. Yeah! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete

Please do. I love to know what you think!